Haworthia species

Haworthia magnifica 'enigma', Korinter River road

Haworthia, Haworthiopsis and Tulista species

As I mention in "Haworthia taxonomy" article, the simple question "Which are the accepted species?" isn't that easy to answer. There are several approaches to categorize this amazing genus (now 3 genera). Below I offer my own list/system of names, that makes sence at least for me. My 'system' is based on M. B. Bayer's list from 2009 and I introduce some new descritpions, that makes sence (for me). 

In many occasions I use other descriptions made mainly by Hayashi or Breuer, but 'in quotation marks'. That's usually because it is interesting plant worth to be introduced here and I leave up to my readers, if they will use or agree with this name or not.

During the numerous expeditions I came across some interesting plants - they are natural hybrids, intermediate forms or just very odd elements, which do not fit satisfactorily in any 'boxes'. I will introduce them here as well.

This isn't the final list - I still have to work on few species/varieties/forms that needs to be published here. 


Genus Haworthia
Genus Haworthiopsis
Genus Tulista
I´m using in this section information and quotations from following sources (books, journals and articles).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see Haworthia sordida is misschien from this list. But I can find the page for it, though...: http://haworthia-gasteria.blogspot.nl/2008/02/haworthia-sordida.html

Kuba said...

Haw.sordida is listed under Haworthiopsis section...

Sam ʻOhu Gon III said...

Is Haworthia glabrata recognized, or synonymized with another taxon listed here?

Kuba said...

Re: Haw. glabrata - yes, it is valid species. It will be published here as well as soon as I get good photos :)

Anonymous said...

Where does (previously known as) Haworthia limifolia ubomboensis fall on this new classification?

Kuba said...

Re limifolia ubomboensis: I still have to write article about limifolias - it will be listed under Haworthiopsis limifolia var. ubomboensis

Unknown said...

I have the chance to obtain Haworthia pentapera. I see its all over the sales places, but not among the scientific places, like here. Is it a misname, or other plant?

Kuba said...

Re Haworthia pentapera - I have never heard about this plant. Even if I ask "google", it doesn´t know it. May be it is a misname or hybrid...but for sure not accepted species name.

Sam ʻOhu Gon III said...

Perhaps it is Haworthia pentagona, which may very well be another "trade name" but at least shows up on google searches. Check against the images shown.

Kuba said...

Haworthia pentagona is hybrid Aloe x Haworthia, tah´t all internet shows :)

Matt said...

Hello all. New to site. Great info, I’ve never seen such a thorough site. It may not be your interest, but is it possible to add a photo of cultivated specimens for better identification for lay persons like myself? Cultivation seems to alter the plants appearance. Thank you for a really great resource. Matt in California.

Shiqi said...

Great site! Really enjoy the photographs and information.
Excuse me if I ask too much, but could there be any chance to see Haworthia cooperi var. truncata in the wild? I'm curious about it because I've never seen photos of H. cooperi var. truncata in habitat.

Kuba said...

Re cooperi truncata: I would like to see it in the nature as well :) Problem is, that it was last seen by Bruce Bayer around 50 yrs ago in nature and since than nobody saw it or perhaps never looked for it. I spent some time and effort back in 2018 looking for it, but no success so far... but I will keep trying!

Shiqi said...

Thank you so much for the information!! Such a mysterious variety! Hope they're still there thriving!!

Unknown said...

Really impressive. Books on the subject impossible to find.
Anybody know where I can get a book on Haworthias in South Africa, please.
Please keep this site alive. Great work and commendable effort all round.

zulu - imbhokodo